Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Number 50.....

WWE has finally done it....they've surprised me. With CM Punk as the new champion and Daniel Bryan; arguably the two best performers on the entire roster as forefront as they could possibly have been. The fact that CM Punk is the champion seals it, in my opinion.... Punk has re-signed with WWE with a new contract to reflect a title run and a tale of old. A new belt is being cast and, with it, the renewed story Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels ran more than 15 years ago.  With any luck, the GM will be revealed finally and we'll get a rivalry reminiscent of the great Steve Austin/ Vince McMahon feuds of the Attitude Era.

Now, with this 50th column of this blog, my goal is two fold. I'd like to do an analysis of who the breakout characters of the year were in each of the companies and my predictions for the coming year. Even more than that, however, I'd like to thank everyone who has followed this blog over the course of the past 50 posts. You guys make this an easier task to accomplish....so without further ado...

WWE......
Is there really any doubt that CM Punk would be here on the list? He's gone from old news to talk of the town with faster than light speed. He's not alone, in my humble opinion. I would place Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, and Christian (FINALLY) on the list as well. All of these talents have made WWE's talent roster not seem as shallow as it sometimes seems to be. There are great characters on the roster, but with little invested, there is little hope of a return from some, like Zack Ryder. Don't be surprised if Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder finally get some screen time.

TNA.....
I'm taken with the Sting transformation. I love the look, the character, and every segment he's been in since doing the Joker-esque thing. It takes something within a person to be able to sculpt one's persona in this business the way Sting has managed to. He makes each make up personality distinct and reinvents himself very well. I daresay that Mr. Anderson and Crimson rank right in that top tier as well. I had thought TNA was going to drop the ball and let Crimson's impressive debut fall by the wayside. I do wish Matt Morgan wouldn't be forgotten in the mix, but with the BFG series nearing Hardcore Justice, I can see some bright lights ahead for the stacked roster as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment