Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Two Face......

I've got a couple of things to say about RAW.  First, thanks for bringing back J.R. Second, thanks for bringing back John Morrison. Third, thanks for showing Zack Ryder. Okay, now that that is out of the way, on to my gripes.

-Triple H recast a brand new WWE Title....that looks EXACTLY LIKE THE OLD ONE!! This is absolutely beyond me. TNA stopped using the NWA Title in favor of a belt that has some class. Jeff Hardy designed a title too and even though it was met with criticism, when his reign as champion was over, it was replaced by another classy looking belt. I HATE the WWE belt. I apologize, but when a title belt has the word "champ" cast right into it, it loses something...namely dignity.

- Michael Cole was put into a match last night against Zack Ryder. Okay, if I were to give a guy like Cole a match of that caliber, I would make it an "I Quit" match, where the loser leaves RAW. It seems to me that this would be more welcome than the inevitable drama left to ensue on Smackdown.

- If there is one guy in WWE I do NOT want to see as champion right now, it's John Cena. Here's the fact of the matter, when John Cena and CM Punk had their staredown as RAW went off the air holding the exact same belt, it didn't look compelling to me, it looked like each man was trying to be proud of the same amount of bling. Yep, it's the belt.

My biggest gripe about RAW is that they had all the drama for the two week period after the last PPV only to not continue the build for Punk's return. Having Punk show up at RAW or Smackdown and torment the new champion, whoever it might otherwise have been would be favorable to what they did. Each week we could see a new way to get into the mind of the current champion. Why not run the Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon route and force a unification match to unite the belts? Why not trap CM Punk into a contract extension by revealing a clause he hadn't seen when he signed?

My point is allowing time to build up some anticipation. THIS is why WWE is losing ground, in my opinion. They can't build a storyline with a bag of Legos and an instruction book. They can't capitalize on story points (i.e. Michael Cole's situation). They have difficulty giving their women's performers time to explain their character's actions. And finally, and possibly the most important, they can't create new champions without having to remove their push when they start getting over. Rey Mysterio has been done before, and John Cena has been done to DEATH. Think up something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment