Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Wouldn't Have Believed It.....

A few days back, I wondered what a chairs match would look like. Believe it or not, folks, WWE is finally doing one on Sunday. Mark Henry vs. Big Show.  Is it wrong of me to want to see that. I mean it....two colossal behemoths clubbing each other in sheer PG fashion until blue food coloring pours from a fake gash. Why do I hate thee so? If I had no idea what WWE had been doing the past few years, I would insist that THIS match out of all the others would end in a pool of blood. Nope....PG glass ceiling.

Which brings me to one of the better, dominant, stiff workers the WWE has had in the past 10 years.....Dave Batista. This guy RADIATED intensity right down to the Ultimate Warrior rope freak out taunt. In a recent interview with the Daily Star and I would like to cast eyes particularly on this segment, taken verbatim about the WWE product these days.....

"He told FT this week: “It’s brutal. I can’t watch it. I can’t connect with it. I no longer know this business. I don’t do PG wrestling.

“Love me or hate me, when I was there everyone took one look at me and knew I could beat someone up. I don’t think they look at Miz that way.” 

Looking at our exclusive picture, you can see the man has a point. He went on: “It’s sad. It’s not their fault. These days the guys have their hands tied, they are so limited in what they can do. 

“The difference is that guys like Rock, Austin, Triple H, excuse me, but they had to have the living sh*t beat out of them to get where they are. They went through war and the audience knows it and the audience appreciates it. 

“The guys today will never get to that level. It’s sad, but that’s the reason for it.”

FT wrote a couple of weeks ago that joyous as Rock’s return was, it laid bare some of the difficulties WWE have in creating stars of his calibre, magnifying the gap between his stellar capacity and what is on offer today. 

Batista left the company because of the new direction, and obviously feels nothing has changed. "- The Daily Star.

I don't think he's wrong. When your product consists of 15 minute segments of sheer posturing and less time on story development told in the ring, I think he has a valid point. Now, I can recognize that this is, to some degree of the wrestling world as a whole, but TNA has done far better in in putting together a watchable product with twists and turns in a easily picked up storyline that MAKES SENSE. WWE is still grasping at straws with people who are more concerned with making a group of shareholders happy than the fans.

Need something else? Sure, why not....how about Bret Hart?


Did you catch it? "The problem isn't the wrestlers....it's the office directing....it's so the same every week."
 
I rant and rave about all of the things I hate about WWE and give TNA a bit of breathing room because WWE can do so much more than what I'm seeing. They are a GOOD company that has run aground a bit, which I think is terribly sad and unfair to the performers, not to mention the fans. I want to believe in WWE, but there is so much discord amongst the talents in the locker room. And why wouldn't there be? If there were was only one way to do things without taking the initiative to talk to the fans and cut out the middle man altogether, I think I'd be looking for work elsewhere too.

Suddenly crossing the line doesn't seem so bad....

1 comment:

  1. im glad ur telling the truth about whats been happening on tna and wwe.Ive been trying to read everything you've been saying plus TnA IS GOING Fantastic. Getting better and better and u should put someone way better for the TV Title, yes i know that you dont like the title but i find it fasinating ! dont get rid of it, jus make that more exciting! more challenging like everything else! the Tag team wild card is awesome didnt see that coming! Thanxz !
    cesar barcenas

    ReplyDelete