Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Nature of a Heel.....

I don't know why it is, but I love talking about bad guys. I mean, the guys that make a fighting champion look good; the guys who you hate and it gives you pleasure to see get beaten down. I would like to know what makes a good heel? I have my own ideas which I will dispense, to be sure, but I'm curious how my opinion stacks up to yours. Let's have a look.....

Cheating- Ric Flair was called the "Dirtiest Player in the Game" and it wasn't for no reason. He cheated his way into more title runs than anyone else in the business so far.

Lying- Eddie Guerrero was famous for using a foreign object and then flopping while the ref was distracted, handing the weapon off to his opponent before hitting the mat. The genius selling of this phenomenon made his persona so interesting.

Distraction- More tag teams can account for this as their edge than any singles performer. It does happen that a performer will bring in outside interference to aid in victory when possible.

Overboard tactics- Beating a guy down and continuing to do so long after the bell has rung is a good indicator. Bobby Roode is the most recent example, but so many can claim the moniker.

Use of weapons- Triple H is my favorite example of the use of a weapon to bend opponents to a person's will. This does often march into overboard tactics (see Triple H's use of the sledge to Shawn Michaels at Summer Slam 2002)

While each of these traits is a good ingredient to creating a convincing heel, all of them and an additional factor can make for a menacing villain. What else makes for a good villain? The ability to make a crowd believe that every vile threat he or she makes is well within their power to carry them all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment