Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Waiting and remarks....

Each time I write something with strong opinions, I get the feeling someone will write something to rebuttal. "Blood in the Water" a couple columns ago made some waves. I've been called 'dead wrong' before. I've been argued with before. I have no problems with criticism in this forum. I welcome it, in fact. No decent human being is so set in their ways that they will not be swayed regardless of what the facts say or the opinions of people who know what the heck they're talking about to begin with. That being said, I'd like to make it perfectly clear. I was one of WWE's most faithful followers for a long time and wrote a great many columns before beginning this blog to that effect.

I was a fan when WWE's Tag Team Division gave us TLC Matches to look forward to. I was a fan when Lita, Victoria, Trish Stratus, Jazz, Ivory, and Molly Holly led the WOMEN'S Division. Yes, they were called Divas, but they were the Women's Division and they fought over a belt that DIDN'T look like a butterfly. I was a fan when Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels went to a dead even stalemate in a 30 minute Iron Man Match. I was a fan back when Jeff Hardy jumped off the top of the scaffolding onto Randy Orton through the stage.

I cheered for WWE when it mattered what the people wanted. There was a time when people could say that, in WWE, they shed blood, sweat, and tears, but those days passed when the PG Era began. I stood on my feet when Brock and Undertaker went through Hell in a Cell and Taker nearly passed out from blood loss. The days of storyline continuity are over in WWE. The days of a Women's Division to be proud of are over.

The thing that makes me angry when I think about WWE is that I KNOW they can do better than they are right now. I got to see some of the long running feuds between Vince and Stone Cold Steve Austin and the ones between HBK and Triple H. I got to see all of those tightly written and well oiled and worked storylines and then I see them mishandle something as simple as a white hot faction like the Nexus or even Cena vs. The Rock. I shake my head in bewilderment and I'm at a complete loss as to why it's so hard for their writers to put together a story and stick with it, writing in every twist and allowing it all to run to conclusion before ramping into something new.

I came to a point where I knew WWE wasn't going to deliver me a match that I HAD to see anymore. They had lost me as a fan of their product. I've watched highlights with the knowledge that for every decent segment, there was about two or three times as much garbage to wade through and that's a sad thing because there was a time when I would have been thrilled to hear RAW was going to a three hour format, but now I see a mistake in the direct vein of WCW and we all know where that ended.

Before anyone launches into TNA's current dilemma with their network being broadcast over DirecTV's airwaves, I would like to point out that WWE faced similar circumstances between 2004 and 2005 when they moved Smackdown around to 2 or three networks before finally arriving in a more permanent home. This hiccup is nothing to be concerned about just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment