Saturday, October 27, 2012

Balance.....

I'd like to take some time aside. I've been confronted in debate over brand superiority. WWE or TNA? I have made it clear as to my position, having given a great many arguments over the course of the lifetime of this site in favor of my personal choice. I do hope, however, that I've been balanced. Balance and bias are not two different sides of a coin. My perspective in the grand scheme of things is simple.

If WWE held the same standard for quality that they did during the last era in their history, I would still be in their number as a supporter. And if WWE decided today to alter their product to return each division to prominence, I would begin watching again. If WWE was serious about bringing fans back by not dumbing down their product and using their own format from years past to serve as a template for how to move forward, I would split my wrestling viewing and occupy my Monday Nights once more.

But the sad truth is....WWE isn't the same entity they were when I started watching all those years ago and they are showing no signs of improvement. Does anyone remember what happened at Survivor Series 2002? Let me run down the card....

Bubba Ray, Spike Dudley, and Jeff Hardy vs. 3 Minute Warning with Rico
Billy Kidman vs. Jamie Noble
Victoria vs. Trish Status- Hardcore Match for the Women's Championship
Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship
The Guerreros vs. Kurt Angle/ Chris Benoit vs. Rey Mysterio/ Edge for the WWE Tag Team Titles
Shawn Michaels vs. RVD vs. Chris Jericho vs. Triple H vs. Booker T vs. Kane in the first Elimination Chamber for the World Heavyweight Title

The competitors aren't important in illustrating the point....WWE isn't the same. If WWE put a show on this year that could come CLOSE to the Survivor Series I mentioned, things would look very different, indeed. I'd say we'd be looking at TNA sitting in the backseat for quite some time were that the case, but with ratings declining for WWE and TNA remaining steadfast, I'd say the tides for WWE are turning and TNA, who are just starting to escape the old stereotypes they've been given over the years, are beginning to rise above.

Just a side note, when was the last time the WWE Championship match was shorter than that of the Women's Championship? I can't remember back that far either. The WWE Title match at Survivor Series a DECADE ago was outlasted by the Women's Title match by 3 minutes solid. Give that some thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment