Friday, November 16, 2012

One Isn't Enough?

If all of you would humor me for a moment....does it ruin a match for you if a wrestler hits his "finisher" and his opponent kicks out of it? Maybe I can answer the question for you? If anyone said "it depends upon the situation", you and I can share the same campfire. It seems to me that so much formula goes into the finish of a match these days. A performer hits a momentum shifting maneuver, then his/her finisher and then the cover for the win. That's what happens on TV, anyway. PPV, however, seems to be exempt from this time honored rule of the squared circle. Fact is, it doesn't even have to be among the WWE Four to warrant a break from the rule.

There are a couple of rules on finishers I'd like to point out that seem absolutely ridiculous to me...

1. An enemy is NOT allowed to use a weapon that belongs to you to win a match. If this is attempted, a kick out is mandatory.

2. An enemy is NOT allowed to use your finishing maneuver. If this is attempted, a kick out is mandatory.

3. Only on PPV are you allowed to kick out of an opponent's finisher as a way to shift momentum of the crowd.

4. If a first finisher attempt to end the match doesn't work and neither does a second, a third will DEFINITELY do the trick.

These are just a few of the rules that WWE has nearly always employed. No one uses Triple H's sledgehammer on HIM. You don't kick out of a Tombstone Piledriver. Jack Swagger isn't allowed to use the Ankle Lock in a match against Kurt Angle.

Forgive me for saying so, but these rules are absolutely STUPID! If I were to take a hammer blow to the head, even if it were my own, regardless what the rules state, the chances of my getting back up would be negligible at best. A finishing move CAN be used against the person who trademarked it. I happen to believe that if a finisher is successful, it can put down the innovator of it as well. How about THAT logic, huh?

There was a time when a decent ring tactician had two finishers; an impact finisher or a submission move or maybe even two impact moves. Does anyone know when that changed? For whatever reason, some, like the opponent I face, mistakenly believe TNA as the culprit behind the multiple use of a single finishing move. Not so. In fact, WWE was doing that in the Attitude Era. After years of doing this, however, some wrestlers broke the mold. Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Edge, and others began using more than one finishing move to end the match.

I say throw the "rulebook" in the garbage. Branch out and experiment with the formula a bit. This is probably the best time to do so. With each company on the wrestling scene still working at determining their own identity, I see no problem with tweaking how we, the fans, look at the construction of an effective match. My only request is minor: Use the rules as a guideline, not as a law.

No comments:

Post a Comment