Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Value of X....Part 5.) The Main Event

For those of you who don't know TNA history, an X Division PPV main event is NOT impossible. It was done 7 years ago. Unbreakable 2005 featured Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels in, what SHOULD HAVE BEEN, a Match of the Year winner. My question for this column is simple. Is it likely to see TNA give it a try again?

Before we get into the meat of this column, I'd like to take a look at a few of the ingredients the first time had.

The Division....With an abundance of bright X Division talents, TNA was at it's Divisional apex. In years following, the division has waxed and waned with the gaining and losing of those talents. This match marked the brightest spot on the TNA card at the time.

The Competitors....As with any great match, it's only going to be as good as the men who play it out and TNA chose their best. I doubt anyone could argue that this match featured the hottest commodities in wrestling's horizon at the time. By giving these men the space, the time, and the stage, they opened a lot of doors down the road for championship reigns for all three in different divisions.

The Timeframe....Rhino was the World Champion at the time and, having won the belt in a gauntlet match only the month before, officials gave Raven his shot at the title. Having said that, it was decided that the X Division feud would benefit all three in the long run moreso than the World Title at the helm and so the card was put together.

My opinion of the X Division right now is pretty good, though it has experienced some setbacks with injuries plaguing some of the mainstays, but with the current reign of Rob Van Dam adding some star power to the X Division short list, I believe TNA officials are wanting to give young stars a chance to build a resume around a win over "The Whole F'n Show". If TNA decides to rush Christian York into the division, along with Kenny King, Alex Silva, and the rest of the X crew, I think we have a good chance to see a waxing effect once more.

As for who could pull the match off? That would depend on the match....so I'll break it down.

One on one.....In my eyes, there is only one way to play this card. Either Last Man Standing or Iron Man. My picks for either match will be the same. Kazarian and Daniels. When the two finally depart from each other's company, I see a great match like this finishing the feud. If TNA officials decide to make it over the X Title, all the better.

Triple Threat....I'm loved the original and the repeat performance of Joe/Daniels/Styles, but I think something like Ion/Ryan/ and a returning Jesse Sorenson would go over like fireworks and would be a great way to bring the story full circle, allowing Jesse to capture the X Title for the first time.

Fatal Four Way......I like my triple threat picks, but I would also add RVD into it for a veteran face not so removed from the title scene. Rob Van Dam would be a good way to give some props to the returning Sorenson and it would be a good way for him to bow out, should he decide not to re-sign with TNA for another year.

I don't give any credibility to a gimmick match with greater than 4 men as I believe it would make for a messy and complicated match when it really needn't be. Simple CAN work if done properly. Just don't ask WWE about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment