Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rant from Ringside: 1/3/13 Promo Disappointment

Ok, I have a grievance that I need to air here and now. Over the past few weeks TNA has been airing a promo for something big that is supposed to occur on 1/3/13. Now, I am not one who reads into what might be coming up in the business so if it was announced before tonight that Sting is going to return on 1/3/13, I didn’t know it. I like to be a little bit surprised by changes to storylines. But, I am getting away from my point. Promos in my eyes are supposed to be used for two reasons, introducing someone new to the company or announcing the return of someone who had been out for a long long time. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that Sting has been out for quite some time after his beat down by Aces and Eights, but by no means do I think he has been out long enough to deserve the promos that they have been playing.
The other thing that kind of irks me about the 1/3/13 promos is that they have a kind of evil dark feeling to them. I understand that they are shot this way because they are going to bring Sting back angry looking for blood, but over the last 20 years the best promos that have been dark and gritty have been introducing guys who were evil. Guys like Rellik and Mankind had great promos before their introductions because they were dark, mysterious, and best of all new. If they wanted to run a long time promo for Sting, I feel the best way to do it was shoot some new ones where they are showing him lurking in the darkness. The WCW Sting promos where he was hanging out in the rafters were best because even though they weren’t introducing someone new, they were able to show him as the bad ass that he is.
What do you guys think? Are you excited that the 1/3/13 promos are announcing the return of the Icon? or do you think like me and feel that they are blowing the opportunity for introducing a new talent with a really great promo? Let me know what you think.
As always, thanks for reading.
-TFC

1 comment:

  1. I don't think the opportunity has been blown, just the surprise of Sting. Truth be told, if there had been THAT much surprise, Sting's promos wouldn't sound so much like those for Chris Jericho EVERY TIME he comes back to WWE for a short year long feud or program. As I stated in MY reaction, I don't think Sting is a surprise, but I DO think something else IS. It WILL be nice to see Sting back on camera....it means less Hulk on screen. BUT, I think TNA played this card face up for a very good reason....something is going to ruin Sting's revenge.....or someone.

    ReplyDelete