Sunday, December 16, 2012

Rant from Ringside: No More Divas


First off, I do want to apologize for my absence. I know Tactix has been so excited about me joining him on his site, and believe me, so have I. It will feel great to actually have someone read my posts. So, I wrote my last post about “The Shield” then my computer broke, well, when we had figured out a solution to the computer issue, I started getting sick, like real sick. So, after going so far as to have a PICC line put in my arm and now going in every night for the next two weeks to get antibiotics, I am finally starting to feel like writing again.

The first night that I had a broken computer, Tactix, not knowing I couldn’t do any writing, posed a question to me that he thought would make for a good column. He basically asked me what I thought about WWE shutting down their Diva division. My mind started racing and I gave him a little sneak preview of what I thought I might write about. So, here is the expanded version of that sneak preview.

The idea that WWE would shut down its Diva division is kind of a sketchy subject for me. Tactix, you are going to be a little taken off guard by what I am about to say because this wasn’t in my preview, but just bear with me. On one hand I am incredibly excited by the idea because everyone who has watched WWE since the Attitude Era, you will know that there have been very few bright spots when it comes to the Diva division in WWE. Mickie James, Victoria and yes Gail Kim were really a major part in the success of the Diva’s division over the years and look where they are now, over in TNA. Lita and Trish Stratus are the two major successes in the more recent success in WWE’s Diva success and they are gone now too. So, who is left? In a word, mediocrity, none of the women who are currently on WWE’s roster are even fit to lace up Gail Kim or Mickie James’ boots. Vince is still stuck on looks and has allowed true talent fall to the side. Don’t get me wrong women like Eve, Natalya, Layla, and especially AJ Lee get my full attention, but if I am being brutally honest, which I always am, none of these women are the full package. I mean, sure, to be a successful Diva you don’t have to be a master on the mic and be ultra talented in the ring at the same time, but they at least have to excel at one and be good at the other.

Let’s start with my favorite, AJ Lee, she is gorgeous, fit and fantastic on the mic, but I have yet to see her really do anything impressive in the ring. Yes, she has not been in a full time wrestling position for a while, but that is going to change and I hope that she really stands out as a legendary Diva. Next I want to talk about Natalya, being the daughter of Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart has really done wonders for her in ring ability. She is one of the more athletically gifted women on WWE’s roster, but they are not using her to her full potential and I believe it is because she is not as equally gifted on the mic as she is in the ring. She is truly one that I believe if they gave her just a few more opportunities to talk, she would become a Diva legend.

That leads me to my final point; I know it sounds like all I have to say about the WWE’s Diva’s division is bad things, but really I do believe that if they would take the time to focus on the talent they have and developing that talent to its full potential, they could completely revolutionize their Diva’s divison. Unfortunately, Vince McMahon and the other people in creative, see these ladies as nothing more than easy on the eyes and time fillers. They see the Diva division as something that they have to do to appease the few women fans and all the horny men that call themselves fans of the WWE.
As always, thanks for reading.
-TFC 

No comments:

Post a Comment