Monday, December 31, 2012

Rants From Ringside: What Happened to Moves That Actually Look Like They Hurt?


What happened to the idea of finishing moves, whether they be submission moves or major impacting slams, looking like they hurt? I once heard a wrestler, exactly who slips my mind right now, explain that a great professional wrestling move is supposed to feel like nothing and look like the most brutal thing you had ever seen. Unfortunately too many times, especially when I watch WWE, but a few of the TNA guys are guilty of it as well, I have noticed that the moves probably don’t hurt and look like it.

Now, you might be wondering why am I just now being bothered by this. I have been a pro wrestling fan all my life and I have known for most of it that many moves performed in the ring, if done correctly, do not hurt, so why am I just now being bothered by it looking fake? Well, my frustration finally came to a peak Dec. 17th when he charged the ring and performed his finishing move. Now, I don’t really know how to explain what the hell is going on in this move, or exactly how it is supposed to be painful for the person getting it done on, but basically what it looks like he is picking his victim up and then allowing them to body slam him. This amazingly leaves the opponent unconscious and Langston perfectly fine. So, Big E, in one move, is simultaneously performing a move that looks like it would hurt him more than his opponent and undermining how powerful a body slam can be by not being affected by the body slam he just took.

John Cena and Daniel Bryan are grouped together in my mind because both the STF and the Yes lock look similar and neither looks the slightest bit painful. But if we are going to talk about submission moves that don’t look painful, you have to mention Alberto Del Rio’s arm bar. Yes, that is a move that if done properly can break arms, but he doesn't even try to make it look tight. Staying with the theme of submission moves and the idea of real moves that are painful if well done, I do have to go over to TNA and mention Samoa Joe’s rear naked choke. Anyone who knows anything about mixed martial arts or even a basic level of anatomy will know that the way that Joe puts on the choke hold, would never knock someone out because he is not cutting off all blood flow.

Unlike the WWE, TNA has very few performers who are on a daily basis doing moves that look as unimpressive as the ones I have mentioned above. Now, I know that there are going to be people who are going to say, it is all about how it is sold. Well, that is why I have been very careful to choose only the very worst moves, moves that could be sold by Ric Flair himself and still look like absolute crap. If anyone has any other moves that are currently being used, that I missed, I would love to hear them. As always thanks for reading,
-TFC 

1 comment:

  1. rey mysterio jumping of the top rope and sitting on top of someone. especially when its someone like the Big Show

    ReplyDelete