Saturday, December 15, 2012

Survival Tactix: What's Right.....

Right now, I look at the wrestling battleground, where TNA and WWE face off in an attempt to garner the kind of wrestling fans each brand can be proud to call their own. Some line the camp of WWE and others, like myself, call TNA THEIR brand. And while these lines in the sand disappear and reappear in a kind of tide-like advance/retreat pattern, one thing seems certain....there are a few performers in MY view, that embody what the wrestling business is about. They don't entirely come from TNA's roster either.....as some of you might be thinking. These men and women work very hard and train to hone their craft into a sharp precision tool, captivating audiences with every line, every move, every match they find themselves in.

And so, in the spirit of the holidays, with the end of the year fast approaching, I give this to you....these men and women are what's RIGHT with wrestling today. I will be posting my list of the TOP PERFORMERS in TNA and WWE in a fresh blend with no favoritism, being fair to those who do well in their craft DESPITE WWE's restrictions. While TNA has no such restrictions, their own restrictions ONLY fall in the limit of time they can give to any member of their roster with their 2-3 hours of programming per week they have to work with. SO, without any further ado, I give you MY FIRST ROUND of picks.....

Company Men and Women.....

I begin with performers every company LOVES to have on their side. They will do whatever is asked of them AND get a great deal of credit as a result. And to THAT list I submit.....

John Cena
AJ Styles
Tara
AJ Lee
Kurt Angle
Gail Kim

It's a good thing to perform for a home and these men and women consider themselves there now. I respect that to a very large degree. A promotion needs representatives who are loyal to their brand and these all fit that bill in spades.

Grifters.....

What do I mean? I believe there is a place for those who keep their options open and opt for the company that shows them the most opportunity. These are the players you LOVE to have on your bench and want to keep there as long as you can because they deliver. Among them.....

Jeff Hardy
Velvet Sky
Matt Morgan
Christian
Ken Anderson
Brooke Adams (Miss Tessmacher)

I know of no greater compliment to the women on this list than to say that both have worked extremely hard to get their spots and I believe they have earned every minute of every victory this year. When I look at the men on this list, I respect them for being free to explore how they want their careers to move ahead and, with the new year approaching, it makes sense to believe they will find progress as they, too, have worked very hard to get where they are.

Hated Heels.....

The opening promo from Mission: Impossible II echoes in my head. "....a hero is only as good as his villain...". I believe that to be ABSOLUTELY true. And to that list I give you......

CM Punk
Bobby Roode
Austin Aries
Bully Ray

I wish I could name another truly good heel in WWE, I really do, but I give you the best answer to this that I can. WWE is built around the hero. TNA begins with the villain. TNA has built a company around the bad guys. Jarrett, Shane Douglas, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, even Eric Bischoff. It isn't hard to understand that the best storytelling is done when the audience truly believes the bad guys COULD win out. In TNA, there were YEARS when the bad guys held all the power. In WWE? Not recently, unless you consider CM Punk, who was booked like a heel ever since his return to television after Summer Slam last year.

Underdogs.....

They always seem to come just shy and then when they win, you cheer them even more. THIS is what's right about wrestling. So my picks.....

James Storm
Rey Mysterio
Natalya
Wade Barrett

I leave you with these men in mind, because they, in story, put themselves in places where a great many men have failed for lack of patience and perseverance. It takes fortitude to succeed and with a strong will, a drive to conquer their obstacles, and a steady attitude, much will come to fruition.



1 comment:

  1. I feel like you have left one person off your list. For me he would go in the Underdog category or even perhaps in a list all his own. The always entertaining Eric Young. His in-ring ability coupled with his ability to get the crowd behind him and even laughing is unmatched in all of wrestling.

    ReplyDelete