Saturday, January 5, 2013

Survival Tactix: The Final Four....or so

Now that I have successfully sidestepped this for two straight columns, but now, I return to pick up the last 4 of my favorite feuds of the past decade. Since I've gone so far without putting women's rivalries, I have a couple worth mentioning........

The Beautiful People vs. the Knockouts Division......
It truly didn't matter which incarnation we're talking about, whether Angelina, Velvet, Lacey, or Madison Rayne, it was always the same.....a good concept with enough catfight to keep the eye candy indulgers happy whilst also catering to the more savvy WRESTLING fan. Did I mention that it ALSO brought with it the debut of a Knockout?



Awesome Kong conquers the Knockouts Division......
Never before or since has there been a more dominant female to step into TNA's squared circle. It was her presence that made the first Queen of the Cage match possible. In fact, her presence paved the way for the debut of ANOTHER Knockout....I think we all remember Taylor Wilde. Right?



Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe.....
A debut transitioning into a feud right out of the gate wasn't my first choice of how I would have booked it, but Joe and Angle had some GREAT matches and a terrific feud. Fast forward a bit and you have a match over every TNA title at once in the same match......This was Joe's first really big feud....this will always be the rivalry I go back to first in my mind. Angle's debut made the Joe push fade, but the fault on THAT end of things HAS to go to TNA creative, because rather than simply TEASE a feud happening, they just threw it together without any sort of build, which really was a shame, making Joe another casualty of the "Goldberg effect", as I'll call it. (See "Mysterious Way" in this blog's archive)


Sting vs. Hulk Hogan (Immortal)......
Of all the feuds to bring up, why something from the pit of 2010? First, it DOMINATED the year, but it also gave rise to the Jeff Hardy heel reign and subsequent Sting title reign following. Not only so, but if FINALLY put an end to faction control of the show. It ALSO allowed Sting to, once again, reinvent his character with the Joker gimmick.....one of my favorite segments....truly.

I realize this is 10, but I HAVE to go a bit further....

Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk......
I've said it before, but CM PUNK OWES Jeff Hardy a great deal for his success. Without Jeff Hardy's name on his resume, there would be no "Summer of Punk". In fact, this reign he's enjoying right now (soon to be ended by The Rock) would have been pushed off AT LEAST a year had Hardy not been so ready to leave WWE at that time. This isn't a criticism of WWE as much as it is the truth of travel taking toll on Hardy's body at the time. Nevertheless, this was one of Punk's finest feuds to date and began his rise.

Austin Aries vs. Bully Ray......
NOW, I realize this isn't Hardy, but this IS Aries' first real ascent to the top. Ray, even now, is a top level talent in the eyes of TNA management, despite his lack of World Heavyweight hardware to show for that status. It was THAT very opinion that TNA wanted to put to task in pairing the two in a rivalry, leading into Aries ultimately winning the World Title.

Kurt Angle vs. Desmond Wolfe.....
IF Nigel McGuiness had been able to stick around in ring, I'm sure he'd have returned to a feud of this caliber, but THIS was one of the loudest and shortest flashes in the pan TNA has had in recent years. I LOVED the finish to the feud with the 3 Stages of Hell Match. It made perfect sense, and the feud had enough heat to cook a three course meal for the entire duration of it.

Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett......
This ends this column, but there are SOOO many feuds worth mentioning.....NONE of which, in my opinion, are in WWE's current product. THIS feud, however, is in with my favorites in any promotion in any era because this one was real, at least in storyline form. Yes, Hardy vs. Edge was real, to a degree, but there were kids and a wife involved and this was played out as dramatically as I can fathom a wrestling company taking it.

As I said....SO many feuds worth mentioning: Eric Young vs. Jeff Jarrett, Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle, JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero, Triple H vs. Goldberg, Chris Jericho vs. Christian, Jericho vs. Michaels......you get the idea, but without either enough time OR space in which to chronicle them all, I leave you with those stated. I am more than happy to elaborate on more....if you ask nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment