Friday, July 26, 2013

Survival Tactix: 4th Attempt....

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I tend to finish the things I begin, but this past couple of weeks has seen me begin a column only to erase it an begin anew the next day three times. Why? To be completely transparent, there's been so much happening that I can scarcely force myself to focus long enough to get my thoughts to page. What could be so pressing? Let's have a look.....

1. More releases.....
Bruce Pritchard, Tara, Jesse Sorenson, DOC, and D-Lo Brown add to the list of new departures from the company. Does it worry me? I'd be lying if I said this restructure hasn't been hard to watch, especially when some of the names leave me scratching my head, but when I consider what the ultimate goal is: to create a more stable platform upon which to build; some of the difficulty dissipates....SOME. I won't pretend it's been all rainbows and sunshine for me to see guys and gals being served their marching orders, but virtually all talents and backstage hands have been supportive of TNA in spite of their having been downsized. Virtually all have been open to the notion of making returns down the road, which is a new development of late, as Dixie has been more hands on in the process.

I'd like to take a break real quick to get something off my chest. I've made it clear here that I DO go to the forums and read all kinds of opinions from all walks of life and there have been TONS of Dixie haters who sling all kinds of accusations her way. "She has no business running a wrestling company when she doesn't know good from bad" or "Dixie is running the company into the ground" or whatever else is along that vein. Whatever people feel about her is their business, I get that.....but for a bunch of armchair critics who haven't carried their own mats to make harsh criticisms of a woman who is respected even by her competitors is more than a little bit presumptuous. She'll admit to bowing to more experienced men and women in the business to teach her some of what she doesn't know, but she's resolved with her decisions, picking up some good pointers about the business, and helping TNA to live within their means. To some, Hogan and Bischoff are the worst partners to have happen to TNA, but to others, they have brought TNA to a whole new level of success. I happen to fall into the latter camp, mainly because of the sense of continuity the new product brings to the wrestling landscape as a whole. Without diverting from my focus here, no promoter is more diligent in connecting to the fans, more approachable from a talent standpoint,  or more in the trenches getting their hands dirty than Dixie Carter. I don't think anyone in the entire wrestling business deserved another chance at building up a product more than Eric Bischoff. Not even Paul Heyman. In that regard, Dixie reached out a hand to the right guy. As far as Hogan is concerned, his presence may be taxing at times, but he still gets the crowds to pop, which does say something for his staying power. People can say all they want, but at the end of the day, Dixie Carter made the best choice available and we are all enjoying some of the fringe benefits of that in the product's traveling schedule. End rant.

2. Another message.....

I'll be honest, I haven't ANY idea who could be behind this newest vignette. Next week, we may see a new talent. Then again, we may see another return to further deepen the already rich Impact storyline moveset. Whatever the case, next week will prove interesting. I happen to love the mysterious vignettes from BOTH companies and the revelations that follow, mostly for the surprise factor. The millenium clock will remain at the peak of the great intros in wrestling history, but there is something to be said for a dark mysterious figure making threats that makes my mind race.




No comments:

Post a Comment